Thursday, January 28, 2010

Everyday Creative: Let’s Begin

Like most years, I decided to start 2010 by dedicating the year to becoming more creative. Usually, my dedication ends up occurring in not so everyday inspirational spurts. I hope this year will be different. I hope my creativity remains constant and in the forefront of everything I do.

So how am I going to manage to pull off this feat? By learning to be everyday creative by following Eric Maisel’s The Creativity Book: A Year’s Worth of Inspiration and Guidance. Yes, that’s a year’s worth of dedication!

I first encountered creativity coach extraordinaire, Eric Maisel’s work when I signed up for his Intro to Creativity Coaching online course five years ago. At the time, I was working as a museum educator, where I was focusing on everyone else’s creativity but my own. The course not only taught me how to empower other creatives but how to focus on my own creativity.

After I finished the course, I worked for almost a year with a creativity coach, moved to another part of the country, and switched careers. But before I changed careers completely, I had some time to explore my inner creative urges. I signed up for art classes, exhibited my work in shows, launched my blog, taught creativity and art workshops and realized that I was creative.


But like most things, life got in the way. I began to create less frequently, post only weekly to my blog, and abandoned my membership to the National Collage Society. So when I thought about my goals for the year, the first thing I did was dust off the Creativity Book. I decided I wanted to explore being an everyday creative person- something I’ve never really been able to accomplish. Like a lot of creatives, my inspiration erratically ebbs and flows, but what if I focused on it and nurtured it everyday instead of just some of the days?

You are probably wondering why I am starting the program now after the year has already begun. The book is only divided into 11 monthly sections. The 12th section is dedicated to creating a work, whatever you want it to be. My work will be to continue to be an everyday creative, which I realize could change during the course of the year.


Share/Bookmark

No comments: