Thursday, February 25, 2010

Plan Your Own Creative Retreat


Have you ever dreamed of going on a creative retreat but didn’t have the time or money to take one? Why not plan your own? That’s what I did last weekend, and it was so worth it. The winter had been taking its toll on me and with my birthday just around the corner next week, I thought it was a perfect time for a little rest, reflection and creativity.

So I devoted an entire day, when I knew I didn’t have any obligations, turned off the phone and computer and enjoyed the silence. I spent a lot of the day musing, reading, creating, and planning. I now have a clear vision of where I am going and all it took was about 12 hours of my time.

If you don’t have the time to spend an entire day for your retreat, I would suggest taking a morning or afternoon and finding someplace quiet where you can think without being disturbed.

Here are some more tips on planning your own creative retreat:

1. Start out with an opening ceremony to get you focused on creating. Try lighting a candle or even reciting a creative mantra. I took mine from the Rituals: Light for the Soul Kit:

I look upon an empty canvas
And see there an unformed opportunity
To express my life
And how it could be
I begin

2. Reflect on the questions I created for a bi-annual Creative Check-In to determine not only goals for the upcoming year but also celebrate achievements from the last 6 months.

3. Look for images to reinforce those 6 month and 1 year goals. Create a visioning collage to inspire next years' successes. For mine, I used images that I cut out of my favorite magazines.

4. Work on your creative project. Once your goals are established and you have a visual plan for them, then have some fun by creating. I completed a few small sketchbook collages, with no particular goal in mind.

5. At the end of the day, blow out the candle and take a moment to reflect on your creative achievements and future goals.
  • What would you include in your creative retreat?
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Kat W said...

Sounds a good idea. Although I would have to have to organise childcare etc. I've been wishing to go away on a retreat but can't afford it so this may be a good option.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Kat

No Longer 25 said...

This sounds like a fab idea to me. Sometime it's great just to have your own company for a little while to focus.
Jade

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Very nice. I find putting a bit of ceremony (or a moment of focused intention) to be a wonderful start to anything creative (anything at all, really!)!

annie said...

what an awesome idea! i really like the idea of having goals and other activities so the time is really worth it.

another thing thst would be fun is to have a artistic retreat with another artist friend? that would be really cool too. maybe then there would be collaboration, teaching each other new techniques and such.

i've always wished to go on one of those art retreats, but there's never enough time or money it seems. oh well, i think this idea would be an awesome alternative.

Marci Segal said...

Great idea for World Creativity and Innovation Week April 15 - 21! Will be linking to your post in an upcoming WCIW entry. Thanks!